Welcome to my blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I believe that everyone can have a beautiful home without spending a fortune! One of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to re-purpose things I already have on hand, or have picked up at yard sales and thrift stores. Join me as I share with you some of my favorite ideas for crafting and decorating, as well as travel adventures, and fun things that I pick up on my treasure hunts! Much of my work is influenced by my love all things French, nature, and of course shabby chic! I have gotten so many creative ideas from you very talented bloggers out there, and I hope that I can be an inspiration to you as well!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Toile and Vintage Lace Sachets

Hello Ladies!

Do you love lavender as much as I do? Well, I adore the scent, and I wish that you could smell my latest project! That's right, I said smell!
 I'm not much of a seamstress.  In fact, I think it's fair to say that I hate sewing!  But, once and awhile the urge hits, so today I made some wonderfully fragrant lavender sachets!
 I am in love with toile, my favorite being blue and white.  To me, nothing says "French" more than toile!  Well, I just so happened to purchase this particular toile on a trip to Hawaii several years ago, of all places!  It is barkcloth, and has the most wonderful texture.  I've used it in alot of projects, and I had some nice sized pieces left that were perfect for creating these sachets.
 I made them all a bit differently, and trimmed them with snippets of a vintage crocheted colar.  It almost felt sacrilegious cutting the collar apart!  But, I found it at a church rummage sale (for free!) several years ago, and thought better to cut it up and enjoy it, than sit packed away, forever forgotten!
 I embellished them with vintage mother of pearl buttons, as well as pretty taupe seam binding.
 I thought they would be nice to have on had for little gifts!  But, I just may have to keep one myself!
 Love the texture of the barkcloth. And that lavender scent!  Ooooh, I feel more relaxed and calm already!
 Below was the inspiration for my sachets.  I picked this up awhile back in a really neat shop in Snohomish, my new favorite town here in the Pacific Northwest.  It's also made of barkcloth and vintage lace.  I really love the green grosgrain ribbon, and that sweet little green vintage button!
 I think they look pretty hung from a nob.

 Or, just all piled in a pretty vintage milk glass bowl!  Now I need to get busy and make some more!
I'm linking up todays post with the following terrific parties:
Faded Charm White Wednesday

23 comments:

Leo said...

Donna - these are so pretty! They would make great gifts. You should sell these in your Etsy shop!

Olga Poltava said...

These sachets are adorable. Beautiful work!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
You sachets are darling! I love Snohomish too, the perfect day getaway:-)
Hugs,
Bella

Cindy Adkins said...

OH MY GOSH--these are sheer perfection, Donna!!! Ooooh-la-la!!! These are amazing!!
XO
Cindy

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

These are so pretty. Funny that you found that divine NON Hawaiian fabric in Hawaii! Will wonders never cease...

Happy White Wednesday,
Judy

The Bear's Blog said...

Beautiful. I agree, you should sell them in your Etsy Shop.

Hugs

Musings from Kim K. said...

For someone who hates sewing, this project turned out divine. Lovely...especially with all the little details of the lace and buttons.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Donna,
These little sachets are so pretty. I love toile too.

hugs
Sissie

Debbiedoos said...

Those are pretty Donna. I can smell them from here!

Victoria said...

Those are so beautiful! I love lavender and have it all over my little nest:)

Erin said...

Those are darling Donna and I bet they smell heavenly:) I love the smell of lavender, it soothes me like nothing else:)

Amanda said...

Hi Donna! These are so pretty! I just adore lavender sachets...in fact, I have a stack of fabric and a gallon ziplock of lavender buds on my kitchen counter at this very moment! We'll see if I actually get around to making them today! I have lots of good crafty intentions but often lack follow-through.
Happy 100 White Wednesdays!
Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda

mizdarlin said...

I too love barkcloth and toile-even my oven mitts are toile!
Very pretty job on those sachets..I cna't wait to finish unpacking all my beading stuff and get some jewelry made for the summer season!

Ido said...

Love lavender and your sachets, they turned out beautiful, I can't even imagine what you would do if you liked sewing!
Have a nice day!
XXX Ido

Pretty Ragged Threads said...

I just found your blog today, so glad I did. Love the little sachets. They are gorgeous. I am now a new follower.

Jackie

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Such pretty toile sachets and I'm sure they smell heavenly! Glad the urge to sew hit you. :)

Susanne said...

So cute, you most definitely need to keep one for yourself! I'm headed to Hawaii soon hope I find something as cool to bring back.
Susanne.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a sweet idea Donna. It is a great way to use the bits of crocheted collars. I have doilies I never use packed away. I might be able to do the same!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

These are lovely, Donna! I love the fabric and lace combination...and lavender...perfect!

Unknown said...

Sweet, sweet, SWEET!! Love these, Donna.
xo
lynn

Pamela said...

Donna for someone who says they can't sew these are absolutely beautiful! Love the lace with the toile!!
Nothing smells better than lavender!!

Pamela xo

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

These sachets are just the sweetest. They look lovely and I know they smell lovely, too. Barkcloth toile...who knew?

Diana said...

Very pretty--I'll be making some of those with lavendar from my herb garden!